Tuesday, September 4, 2007

minor setback (+ welcome sienna!)

Yesterday was quite weird. After my morning dose of my chemo, we came home for our midday break. I laid down for a nap, and then woke up with a 103 (~39 C) temperature. So we drove back down to Stanford for blood tests. Fortunately, since my immune system is still fairly normal, they said we could go home, put ice packs in my armpits and between my legs, and try to bring the fever down. It finally came down by about 9pm, and after taking my Ambian & Tylenol (aka gin & tonic... just kidding) I managed to fall asleep. I woke up this morning feeling completely fine -- very strange.

We just got back from a quick check-in at the hospital. They're confident that my fever was caused by my chemo, not an infection as I had assumed. In fact, the medical assistant said she saw this with 90% of her patients, when she worked at UCSF. No one at Stanford had really seen this before, but I guess that's the point of multiple opinions. She even said she would have given me the 2nd dose of chemo last night, even with my fever. Chris said he would have liked to see her try to give me another dose of chemo last night! I was apparently not in my nicest form, but I thought my head was going to pop off my body.

So we're planning to continue with the rest of this chemo cycle, which means I'll have 4 more doses (2 on Wed, 2 on Fri) this week. We're really playing it by ear. If things go well, we'll keep going. If not, we will probably call it.

Now here's some fun news... Jeff & Darlene had their little girl, Sienna Elizabeth, on Friday! And it sounds like all are doing well. Here she is...


love,
h (& c)

5 comments:

vonlauer said...

Hang in there Hill-A-Ree :-)

I was at the ye ole ASK shop the other day and caught up with Jen and Stefan. It was very odd, but made me remember all the fun times we had there. Ok, well...maybe "fun" isn't quite it.

Take care!!
-steven

Anonymous said...

Sienna is beautiful!!

Rachel said...

ice in your armpits and in b/t your legs- yikes! glad you don't have to do that today. so glad you get to continue the chemo; i know you're ready to get it DONE! love ya.

Alicia Skodol said...

Hill- We are glad you are better-- that was crazy!! Sienna is a cutie. Talk to you soon-- hang in there sweetie!! love you

Brett said...

Getting multiple opinions was one of the first things I got from reading some of Lance Armstrong's books. Its wierd - you think with going to medical school and doing research and residency and finally starting a practice after 37 years Doctors would know everything. But the (sad) reality is they are just humans who have found a way to fit a little extra information in their heads...they are not perfect, they don't know it all, and they are not always right. Your self diagnosis brings another example to mind.

With your 103F temperature, I'm sure Chris can find a joke in there somewhere about your being the hottest patient in the hospital. (Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week.)