Thursday, September 13, 2007

"almost done"

hullo,
I had lab work and a doctor appointment yesterday, and my blood cell counts are still looking good. My doctor said there really is a possibility that I will avoid a hospital stay this time, since I only received 1/3 of the dose for the last/final chemo treatment. (hmmm... wonder if they will still charge full price??) But he also said "but who knows"... apparently no one! So we will see...

My doctor also confirmed that I am "almost done", which is so great to hear. My next steps are to [1] wait for my blood cell counts to get back up to normal. We're mainly watching the WBC (white), RBC (red), and platelet counts; [2] have my "final" (that is a quote... you bet I have that documented) bone marrow biopsy; [3] pull out my PICC line (aka bionic arm);
[4] be done.

Since we're at a university hospital, we've interacted with a variety of doctors, incl. Hematology fellows, residents, as well as students. So even with my standard treatment plan, there have been different opinions about the specifics. The best part has been having my doctor correct our mistaken understandings -- his plan always seems to be better than what we've been told.
First I was told that I would have a bone marrow biopsy every month for the next year. That would be the WORST, but hallelujah that is not the case for me.
Then I was told that I would come in for lab work twice a week for a few months. NOPE! My doctor said that after my biopsy, I will only need to come in once a month. Other than being totally paranoid for the other 29 days of the month, that will be so much easier.

Yeah it is almost Friday! This actually means nothing to me, but hopefully it brings joy to you :)
and happy rosh hashanah!

love,
h (& c)

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Home stretch!

Jen said...

yayayayayayayay!

bmcmahon said...

your blood cells have 2 months to get prepared for all the margaritas we'll throw at them in mexico! perhaps the stanford staff can put their minds to work on a training program for that ;) so glad to hear you're almost there and that it might actually be easier than you thought!

Anonymous said...

yea! i check your site often and am so glad to hear this fabulous news! you have the BEST attitude (which makes for a very entertaining blog!) and have been an inspiration to so many...
now that it's confirmed that you're winning this battle, what's the quarto score?? :)
take care and congrats!
sara swift-eckert

Angie said...

such great news hillary! yipppeee! you are a bionic woman - even without your picc line!

ps - i hate summer too. not sure why i moved to the 408, but thank god for fall!

angie

Rachel said...

it's POURING down rain here this morning... haven't seen that in ages. hoping it cools the day off here a bit! hope your fall starts soon as well. so glad you're almost done, that your counts are up, and that follow-up stuff will be easier than you thought. that's awesome!!! we love you!

Anonymous said...

Im so glad you are almost done with your treatment...and that you are pleasantly surprised with your follow up. Good thing for residents to set up expectations!
Yea! I hope I get to see you in Nov with Pam!

xoxo, shan

Anonymous said...

Hooray! It's a happy day!

Anonymous said...

happy times! i'm so happy to hear the news.

thinking of you tons...

xo~
coll

Anonymous said...

woo hoo!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Such fantastic news! We are so happy for you and Chris! Sad, however, for Tom... :)

Anonymous said...

"3 cheers for the home stretch!!" I'm so happy for you, Hillary.
xo, mom

Anonymous said...

Yipee!!! I love those two words! It sounds way better than expected so that is great news. I can't wait to come visit and celebrate! Whoo hoo!

Keep it up you are almost there,
Pam