Tuesday, July 31, 2007

24 Hours of Booty (pain)

My cousin Brett and his friend Lee are recovering from their hugely successful "24 hours of Booty" ride last weekend. So far the event has raised over $700k! Brett and Lee rode over 400 miles between the two of them. That is just crazy, people. Somehow Brett managed to find humor through the pain, because he had a lot of hilarious stories. At one point, they were passed by a guy in a Darth Vader costume waving his light saber: "We could hear his muffled voice through the mask/helmet yelling to his two friends that he coudn't see anything - they were helping him steer by yelling 'left! right!". We caught up to them about 1/2 mile later where a policeman had pulled them over. As we rode by we heard the cop saying 'absolutely not, that light saber does not count as a headlight!' "
There's a fuller description of the ridonculousness that ensued on Brett's blog.
In addition, my mom and my aunt, Char, took on the impressive challenge of cheering for most of the race (which was stopped briefly due to a massive storm). My mom was even interviewed by a local TV News Station. Here's the video:

I am so humbled by this huge gesture, which has been extremely motivating to me. I mean, if these guys can ride their bikes for almost 24 hours, through a massive storm, overnight, away from their families, after taking a red-eye... then I can suck it up and get through the next 2 months of treatment! I am actually hooked up to my chemo (shmeemo) right now, so we are underway. Enjoy some "Before" photos:


Brett... still able to walk

My aunt Char - modeling her Chemo Shmeemo T

Some "After" photos are coming soon!
love,
h (& c)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When Brett got to 200 miles and was taking a rest, Char and I suggested he stop riding since he was exhausted! Brett said, "Hillary's not quitting, and I'm not either!" He was so inspired by you, Hillary, that Brett rode 225 miles!!! And his friend, Lee, rode 165 miles!!! Unbelievable! xoxo, mom

Bette said...

Hil - You are an inspiration to many and will get through this! Two months will go by faster than you know it! xoxo beth

Anonymous said...

If we all can do anything to indeed help you make it through your last chemo sessions just a little better, then we have done our job. This is all about you, all for you.

I went back months ago to a post where you listed all the fundraising activities people were doing, and I think collectively we're near $50,000 now. Unbelievable.