Thursday, May 17, 2007

Thur May 17th

Hi everyone!
No trips to the hospital today... yeah! We just started my first round of out-patient chemo, but it is only on Mon, Wed, and Fri this week. According to my IV bag, my chemo is 'high dose' (tough girl). Fortunately it is totally painless, and so far I have been feeling fine, although a bit tired. My doctor said that I might start feeling sick next week, with the cumulative affects of the chemotherapy. It is difficult to predict though, since everyone reacts differently. The primary side effect is that my blood cell counts will drop to almost nothing, so I'll be neutropenic again. Basically that means I cannot fight off infections, so I won't be able to eat fresh fruits & veggies, work in the garden, or make out with you if you are sick. sorry.
Some good news... my appetite is still going strong. I polished off half of a Lou Malnati's pizza yesterday (thanks, dad, et.al.!), so my reserves should be well stocked in case I need it!

I continue to be so humbled by the amazing outpouring of support from my wonderful friends and family. You keep me laughing and keep my spirits high, and you are my motivation to, if I may quote my cousin Brett, "punch this cancer right in the mouth". Funny mental image! Speaking of my awesome friends and family, I want to share some of the extraordinary things they are doing in order to raise money for so many great causes. So stay tuned, because that is coming soon!

{happy bday to my mama!}
Love,
Hillary

10 comments:

K. said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MAMA T! hey hills! i've never been front runner on the blog front (kinda shy for me). while im certain that not being able to polish off the banana and work in the garden is a bit of a strain for a gal of your strength, your news and mental attitude continue to uplift + inspire me. you are seriously in control of this one, sis. I'm sending all the power I have today over to you...LOVE YOU DEARLY. yum pizza! xx donnelly.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Margie! Hill, sounds like you are doing great and of course that isn't at all surprising. I hope you continue to feel well. Way to go on the Lou's! Now I'm craving one..hmmmmm.
Miss you tons and thinking of you every day!
Keep up the great work!
love, Katie, Greg and Moira

Unknown said...

a third shout out to Margie! happy day! Hil I like what your cousin said punch away and clearly you are and smiling the entire time. Such an inspiration.

Anonymous said...

Its so great to read that same Hillary spirit in your writing as I saw when I visited you at the hospital a few weeks ago....you know, when the Doctors kept peaking their heads in the door wondering what all the laughter was about 'hey, this is an area for cancer patients...who could be having FUN?'

A special super duper thanks go out to your husband Chris, and your parents Margie and Tom who have been faithfully at your side nearly every minute for the last month. They have also played a crucial role in your progress as I witnessed first hand.

Brett Welborn
Mount Pleasant, SC

Anonymous said...

Hooray! You are a tough girl...so tough that your chemo is punching that cancer in the mouth!

We cant wait to see you tomorrow!

LOVE,
Stephanie and Ori

Anonymous said...

I want to send a huge, warm hug to all of Hillary's friends and family who are keeping up with her every step of the way! Love you all!! love, Margie

sfcurtis said...

Hang in there Tough Girl! Can't wait to see you again. The Adobe girls said they had a blast with you laughed all afternoon - saw Amy's adorable picture of you. Wishing you the best...

Leigh Hinkle said...

Go Hillary and Chris - You two are such rocks for each other. Eat up that pizza and make sure to get lots of ice cream :). You are both amazing individuals and true gifts from God. Hillary - give Chris a big thank you hug from us for taking such great care of you. Chris - give a big hug to Hillary because we love her. Ok, now give each other a big hug - you just can't get enough.

Leigh, Tony and Emily

GW said...

Hey, Hillary (and Thompson-Milks family.) I’ve been checking in on you all for a while, cheering you on from NYC. I worked with your dad, Tom, for about six years in Chicago, and he was incredibly supportive when I had my (beginning age 27, lymphoma) experiences with cancer. I applaud your fantastic attitude and your wonderful team of supporters. I wish you the best of luck as you tackle leukemia head-on and punch it repeatedly in the face. I plan to run the Chicago marathon this October on behalf of the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, and I’m adding your name to my bright purple (!) marathon shirt, in big, bold, happy letters, because I gather from your blog that that’s what you’d be doing. Please contact me any time. My thoughts are always with you.

Susie W said...

wonderful to hear from you, Hillary! Who needs gardening when you have a wonderful husband to wait on you hand and foot? I know, I know, you are a can-do gall who never stops moving so it must suck to be restricted in any way. But I am so glad you get to be at home and that you continue to punch that cancer in the mouth! Henry says hello. He turns 2 in just 9 days. Right now he's lying on the floor staring at the ceiling singing "Take me out to the ballgame." Let us know when you are ready for a Giants game!