Monday, May 21, 2007

Mon May 21

hi everyone.
Chris and I finally got to have a relaxing weekend at home - no hospital visits, yeah! I had a quick trip to the hospital this morning for the usual blood tests. We expected my blood cell counts to be really low, but the nurse was surprised to see that they have not totally dropped yet. So no blood transfusions today. Instead... ice cream & lemonade at home! (Thanks KB!)

I'm also finally getting my potassium back up. Seems like a small issue, but my potassium deficiency has added about 2 hrs/day to my hospital trips for the past 2 weeks. Apparently, I would need to eat a tree of bananas to get as much as they drip in my IV...

... Speaking of being a 'hard worker', people were wondering if I am missing work. Yes very much! I can't thank my wonderful friends over at Adobe enough for all the love you have sent. What an unbelievably supportive (and of course, incredibly good looking) group of people. I miss you guys.

I also wanted to share some of the amazing feats my family and friends are undertaking in order to raise money for wonderful causes. Here are a few, and please let me know if I've missed any...
  • Pam Leister - on Aug 12, my dear friend Pam will be lithely gliding through Chicago's Distance Classic (that's half a marathon, people!) while raising money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • Amy LaRue - also on Aug 12, my dear friend Amy will be modeling the hottest new fashions as she runs the Chicago Distance Classic and raises big money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • Leigh Hinkle - on June 3rd, Leigh will get on her bike and ride 100 miles around Lake Tahoe. It sounds crazy, but this wonderful friend is also a survivor of Hodgkin's (almost 8 yrs in remission!), and continues to raise amazing amounts of money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Team in Training.
  • Brett Welborn - We're just plain lucky to have Brett in our family. This cousin never ceases to amaze any of us, and he has gone and chosen the best-named fundraiser: "24 Hours of Booty"! On July 27th, Brett will be riding his bike for 24 hours straight for team 'Chemo Shmeemo' while raising money for cancer research (p.s. it will probably be about 200 miles!).
  • Gretchen Hagelow - a lymphoma survivor and amazing gal, Gretchen will be racing through Chicago in October for the big marathon as she continues to raise loads of money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • Ian Casey - on June 3rd, Chris's friend Ian, will also be riding 100 miles around Lake Tahoe in order to raise money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society! (anyone else feel unbelievably lazy??)
  • Kristie Provost - my friend from college is also undertaking the Chicago Distance Classic in August! Kristie is the epitome of bubbly and fun... she'll probably chat her way through the entire half-mar, while raising money for Leukeumia & Lymphoma Society.
  • Shannon McHugh - flying in from Denver for the Chicago Distance Classic (on 8/12), our wonderful/adorable friend Shannon will also be leaving the masses in her wake as she raises money for the Leukeumia & Lymphoma Society. (note: with an unfair advantage from training at an elevation, I'd put my money on Shannon.)
Love,
Hillary

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder how many people fighting serious illness have cartoons in their blogs? I love your banana cartoon, Hillary, and am glad I don't have to send you a banana tree! Love, the banana's mom

Anonymous said...

hi darling ... well i continue hope all te best to you and here is the country of bananas...:)any way...there are so special persons in the world ..Thanks God !
You are one of them !!! and your friends are too ..:)
Keep the work !! kisses
Mirian ( Brazil)

Anonymous said...

Hi Hillary! That's a lot of bananas! Nathan just did a half iron man 2 wks ago for Team in Training to raise money too. He was their top fundraiser... so we thought of you, and hope some of it makes it your way. I am sure you are missing work - but I hope that Chris is taking good care of you. Love to you both. Michelle Etter

Unknown said...

I love what you did w/ the blog, I notice you jazzed it up w/ some pink. You are B A N A N A S! Cheers to a wkend w/o Stanford.

Anonymous said...

I love the virtual high fives to the fundraising machines! I did a TNT triathlon two years ago and raised nearly $6,000 for Leukemia and Lymphoma. I am impressed with the peeps that are using their athletic prowess!! Kick AML to the curb!

I also love the props to no hospital trips over the w/e and loads of bananas. hooray!!
Love,
Stephanie and Ori

Alicia Skodol said...

Miss you sooo much Hilly! Checking email from random computer, but will be home in 3 days to chat your ear off!! I miss and love and am so proud of you and all of your FIGHTING this bugger! And am also amazingly impressed by the fantastic folks raising $ and giving time and energy to find cures! GO GUYS! Miss and love you!
Love, Alicia (ready to pop and still in Holland), Ted & Dylan

vonlauer said...

Hill-o-ree...

Sooo glad to see you smiling! Keep up that positive 'tude...I know you will. :-)

XOXOXO,
Steven

Jen Test said...

Hi Hillary! Loved the banana toon. I'm happy you've been enjoying some home cooking again! Hans and I are in S.F. for the summer, and I'm thinking of you. Also wanted to share that we're planning a wedding!!.. so any tips or trick are most welcome! (He proposed last Saturday and we're both so excited). Much love and hugs! JT

Anonymous said...

Hillary,
I can just tell in your posts that you are in great spirits. You are going through so much right now and yet being so strong! Which is no surprise - keep it up! Always thinking about you here in Chicago. And your blog looks great! I wish I was handy with the computer to make our blog more "interactive"... :)
Take Care,
Rory Dominick

Anonymous said...

Hillary, I am so appreciative of all the people who are thinking of you as they run, walk, ride etc. to raise money for Leukemia research! Sending hugs to all of them!! love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Hey Hillary,

Though I've been pretty quiet out here, I'm sending lots of postive vibes, and I have to say, I'm getting positive vibes from your blog. Love the bananas!

You are amazing and inspirational and so unique and special -- I am truly blessed to have you in my life!!!

Sending love from Cambridge,
Marie